What is Chemotherapy?
Chemotherapy is one of the ways in which cancer is treated. It kills cancer cells by destructing them so they cannot divide, grow and spread.
What is the purpose of chemotherapy?
1) To relieve symptoms and slow spread and shrink/lower it down – this is known as palliative chemotherapy
2) To cure cancer completely – curative chemotherapy.
3) To make other treatment methods more effective/better à for example in combination with radiotherapy. Radiotherapy will be discussed later.
5) To lower the chance/risk of the cancer returning again after radiotherapy/surgery.
6) It can be used to treat benign tumours which are not cancerous and are removable by surgery and are not likely to come back. This is called peri-operative chemotherapy and is given before and after surgery.
How does chemotherapy work?
2) Treatment with a combination of medication. This is known as combined therapy.
A chemotherapy regimen (schedule) commonly occurs where there is a specific number of cycles given over a period of time.
What are the examples of chemotherapy?
It usually made up of two drugs:
1) Fluorouracil (5-FU, Adrucil)
2) cisplatin (Platinol).
There are newer drugs such as capecitabine (Xeloda), and oxaliplatin (Eloxatin) that equally work.
Other types of drugs used are:
Docetaxel (Docefrez, Taxotere), Paclitaxel (Taxol), Irinotecan (Camptosar), and Epirubicin (Ellence).
How is chemotherapy commonly given/administered?
The method in how chemotherapy will be given is dependent on the medication (s) one is given. One may have a combination of drip, tablets and injections.
Are there any other treatments for cancer?
This is when they use radiation to kill abnormal/cancer cells.
2) Hormone therapy
3) Biological therapy
4) Radiofrequency ablation
Just to clarify; primary cancers is the first place where the cancer has started whereas secondary cancer is when cancer cells have spread to other organs forming a new tumour. For example; gastric to lung cancer.
God is the Ultimate Doctor of Doctors and by His permission; Farah’s palliative therapy that’s starting on 6th April 2014 God-Willing will successfully remove the symptoms and the cancer cells one after the other.